There was a full house as we celebrated
Canada's 150th and the World's largest film festival...ever!
Thank you to all the volunteers that contributed their time and talent
to bring Beaverton's film history alive.
In 1897, Bill White brought an Edison Projecting Kinetoscope to Beaverton
and showed the first moving pictures in Canada.
Today, the original projector resides in the Strand Theatre; built, owned and operated by Gladys & Vern Flaherty since 1955.
This couple are not only custodians of the 1987 Edison Projector; they were also responsible for having the silent films restored by The National Archives of Canada.
They are a reminder that film history was made here!
In honour of our local heritage, and the Flaherty's contribution to our community, they were presented with a special award at
THE WORLD'S LARGEST FILM FESTIVAL...EVER!
What a celebration it was on APRIL 19, 2017 to be part of the National Canadian Film Day 150 (NCFD 150) massive one-day,
coast-to-coast-to-coast celebration of Canadian cinema in honour of our nation’s sesquicentennial
Beaverton Special Events in partnership with the
Beaverton Town Hall Players and the Beaverton, Thorah, Eldon Histrical Society celebrated Canada’s 150 and our rich film heritage
Beaverton Special Events